Monday 4 January 2010

Time for lunch!

So, what have I done in the last 4 hours? What every coder does on their first day of course, I've configured my system and installed all those little apps one can't live without. Well being new to Mac I've found all those little apps that do the same job as all those little apps I can't do without.

I've also fixed some of the CRAZY issues that Mac users and Apple seem to not care about. For a start I'm using a Microsoft keyboard. However it could be any keyboard that's not apple I'm sure it'd have the same problem. I'm in the UK and therefore have my " key on shift-2 and my @ key between the ; and the hash (pound for our US friends) key. I didn't type the hash because I can't bloody find it on my keyboard!!!!! This is despite the settings being correct. A google search shows that this is a very common problem that Apple don't seem to care about. A hack or two later and it's still not working, but I'm working on that!

And what's with Home and End not actually doing what they're supposed to? That one was a little easier to fix though.

Sorry I'm ranting. I know a lot of this is because on Mac things are done a little differently to on PC and if I'd have gone from Mac to PC I'd still be having the same rant but the other way around. It doesn't excuse the keyboard layout thing though! Especially since the Mac Mini is meant to be a BYODKM (bring your own display, keyboard and mouse) and is partly aimed at the PC user wanting to go Mac without shelling out a fortune for a iMac. Sorry I'm ranting again. It's just that have you seen the prices of those machines compared to the same spec PC? do they make each one out of gold?

Maybe I'll have something to show by this evening. Either that or I'd have ordered a Mac keyboard from eBay after smashing mine into tiny pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment