Tuesday 12 January 2010

Noodles and tuna



I'm reverting back to to being a student. Not that I ever was a student of course! In an effort to save money while I've not got an income I've been eating cheap. Today was Super Noodles with a tin of tuna. Surely a balanced meal? You've got your carbs, your protein and your omega 3. I think I'll put it on regular rotation along with beans on toast, pasta and tomatoes and cuppa soup.

I'm still finding it hard to concentrate for the whole day when working from home. As Ben Elton said, everything is fascinating when you're trying to work. You think of all the little things you need to do that are not work related, and because you're your own boss you do them there and then instead of leaving them till you've finished work for the day. And there are a lot of little things I need to do! Since I have no job and this is all self financed, I thought it prudent to move out of my rented house and seek cheaper accommodation. This means I'm moving. And that means lots of little things to do. I'm not sure why some days I can work solidly all day and others I can't seem to concentrate. I guess it'll get easier with time. Either that or I've got no hope of doing this for a living!

So, I've essentially finished the game. The whole thing plays level after level getting harder as you go. There's a saying in the games industry, the last 10% of the game takes 90% of the time. Bring on the 90%!

There's 2 main systems that I haven't looked at yet. The menu system and the in game playback system. The menu system should be real easy but I'm not sure about the playback system. The original game I'm converting is in  flash. That means lots of movement and animation of the characters between each level. The original plan was to convert them all to video and just play them back. That may still be the plan, but since I've found out that video playback is only full screen and above everything else it doesn't exactly fit in. I've also looked into playing flash on the iPhone. The new flash supports it but I'm not about to go through the whole process of getting that implemented. The third solution is to hand animate everything through the sprite system. Luckily the animations aren't too difficult and it shouldn't take long. Ideally I'd like to write a simplified flash like animation editor on PC (or Mac) and implement a player for iPhone. however since my project is 4 weeks start to finish that's not an option. Anyone got any idea's? Or for that matter, anyone volunteering to do it for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment