Saturday 9 January 2010

I feel dirty

It's Mac Christmas! It has arrived. The keyboard I ordered from eBay just a few short hours ago is here. I opened the brown paper wrapping to unveil a deliciously cool completely white box with an Apple logo at each end. The beautiful milled aluminum (yes that's how you spell it cause it's american) keyboard lay inside inside what I now know to be the Apple standard shaped polythene covering. It is indeed a work of art and I feel dirty just looking at it's shininess.

I have always wondered about the solid lump of aluminum  technique. Surely you get a lot of waste aluminum after you've milled out a keyboard, laptop or Mac Mini. I guess it is just melted down again, but still it seems a waste.

I must admit I've been looking at the new Magic Mouse too. At a price tag of £70 it's a bit excessive but it does look cool and it certainly is a reinvention or at least a re-imagination of a normal mouse. I must get down to an apple store and take a look. I must remember not to look down on these people too as I now share at least a little of their Mac love.

On to the game. Not much done yesterday coding wise. Instead I set up my Perforce server. I personally feel Perforce is the best of the asset management systems or SCM's (Source code management). The only issue I have with it is the nearly $1000 price tag per seat!!! However those nice chappies over at Perforce will let you have the server for free and connect up to 2 users for free too! Since there's only me I set up the server on my home server and integrated it into XCode. This means I can now grab the project on to the Mac Book i'm borrowing (thanks JTB) and code away from home. The Mac Book does suffer from a slightly cracked screen in the shape of a pretty butterfly, but it works and it was free until I need to give it back so I'm not complaining.

I did actually do some coding yesterday. My block style game now moves in 2 out of the 4 directions it's supposed to and the other 2 directions are now ready to drop in very easily. It also recognises directional swipes on the screen and reacts accordingly. I'm hoping to get a little time over the weekend to get this finished off so I can finish up the game modes and actually play the thing!

There's more snow forecast for Sunday and Monday which may sabotage my plans a little. However with my source accessible from anywhere now all I need is a Mac and an internet connection and I'm good!

No comments:

Post a Comment