Wednesday 6 January 2010

Adventures in babysitting


Day 3 and I'm babysitting a 4 year old with chicken pox. Poor thing. he's actually fine just spotty. I'm hoping the flat screen babysitter in the living room will allow me to do some work today. Currently I'm saying a quiet little thank you to Lord Reith who although long dead I'm sure is the main reason we have CBeebies!

I was up late again last night. When I used to freelance from home in my teens (yes that was back in the 80's) I used to work through the night and sleep in the day. That was of course before I was a family man. And had no friends. Not even virtual ones since the internet wasn't invented yet! Please no comments on ARPANET etc.

So, the plan for today. Last night I got the new framework displaying my grid again. Did I mention it was a simple block puzzle game? So back to where I was on Day 1 but now with a good framework beneath it. I also added a simple test to move the blocks around. The plan for today is to get the blocks moving in the correct way for the gameplay. I also want to get the block adjacency working which will make the game effectively functional. This I will call the gameplay demo. I may even take a wander into sound playback too if I get bored.

It's still white out there. GF has gone to work and said it's not too bad on the roads, but there's no way I'm getting my car out there. Rear wheel drive doesn't do too well in the snow.

I'm still not completely convinced that the Mac editing environment is any better than PC. XCode is pretty good but it seems to be missing (or I can't find) some functionality. For instance I can't step through build errors easily on the main window. The compile / debug / emulate cycle is pretty nice and downloading to the iPhone itself is almost as fast. All in all not too painful but not quite as nice as Visual Studio.

Bugger. It's snowing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment